Documentation for Roda (v3.25.0)
README (Introduction to Roda, start here if new)
Federico Iachetti has generously put his Mastering Roda book under the Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, and posted a publicly accessible online version. The book currently documents an older version of Roda, but it will be updated to document many Roda features that have been added since the book was originally written. If you would like to improve the book, please submit a merge request.
Here are direct links to the most important pages:
- Roda ClassMethods (used for configuring Roda)
- Roda InstanceMethods (minimal so as not to pollute the scope)
- Roda RequestMethods (all the methods for routing requests, such as r.on)
- Roda ResponseMethods (methods for manipulating the response directly)
Plugins are a very important part of Roda, since by design Roda has a very small core.
Plugins that Ship with Roda
- all_verbs: Adds request routing methods for all http verbs.
- backtracking_array: Allows array matchers to backtrack if later matchers do not match.
- class_level_routing: Adds class level routing methods, for a DSL similar to sinatra.
- error_handler: Adds ability to automatically handle errors raised by the application.
- hash_routes: Supports fast dispatching to multiple routes using static segments or paths, at all levels in the routing tree.
- head: Treat HEAD requests like GET requests with an empty response body.
- hooks: Adds before/after hook methods.
- match_hook: Adds a hook method which is called when a path segment is matched.
- multi_route: Allows for multiple named route blocks that can be dispatched to inside main route block.
- multi_run: Adds the ability to dispatch to multiple rack applications based on the request path prefix.
- not_allowed: Adds support for automatically returning 405 Method Not Allowed responses.
- not_found: Adds not_found method for handling responses not otherwise handled by a route.
- pass: Adds pass method for skipping the current matching route block as if it didn't match.
- path_rewriter: Adds support for rewriting paths before routing.
- route_block_args: Controls which arguments are passed to the route block.
- run_append_slash: Makes r.run use "/" instead of "" for app's PATH_INFO
- run_handler: Allows for modifying rack response arrays when using r.run, and continuing routing for 404 responses.
- static_routing: Adds class level static routing methods, for maximum performance when handling static routes (routes without placeholders).
- status_handler: Adds status_handler method for handling responses without bodies for a given status code.
- type_routing: Route based on path extensions and Accept headers.
- unescape_path: Decodes URL-encoded PATH_INFO before routing.
- assets_preloading: Adds support for generating browser-hinting preload link tags and headers.
- branch_locals: Adds ability to specify defaults for template locals on a per-branch basis.
- chunked: Adds support for streaming template responses using Transfer-Encoding: chunked.
- content_for: Allows storage of content in one template and retrieval of that content in a different template.
- exception_page: Shows page with debugging information for exceptions, designed for use in error handler in development mode.
- h: Adds h method for html escaping.
- json: Allows match blocks to return arrays and hashes, using a json representation as the response body.
- multi_view: Allows for easily setting up routing for rendering multiple views.
- named_templates: Adds the ability to create inline templates by name, instead of storing them in the file system.
- padrino_render: Makes render method that work similarly to Padrino's rendering, using a layout by default.
- partials: Adds partial method for rendering partials (templates prefixed with an underscore).
- precompile_templates: Adds support for precompiling templates, saving memory when using a forking webserver.
- public: Adds support for serving all files in the public directory.
- render: Adds render method for rendering templates, using tilt.
- render_each: Render a template for each value in an enumerable.
- render_locals: Adds ability to specify defaults for template locals.
- static: Adds support for serving static files using Rack::Static.
- streaming: Adds ability to stream responses.
- symbol_views: Allows match blocks to return template name symbols, uses the template view as the response body.
- timestamp_public: Adds support for serving files in the public directory, with paths that change based on file modification time.
- view_options: Allows for setting view options on a per-request basis.
- caching: Adds request and response methods related to http caching.
- content_security_policy: Allows setting an appropriate Content-Security-Policy header for the application/branch/action.
- cookies: Adds response methods for handling cookies.
- default_headers: Allows modifying the default headers for responses.
- default_status: Allows overriding the default status for responses.
- delegate: Adds class methods for creating instance methods that delegate to the request, response, or class.
- delete_empty_headers: Automatically delete response headers with empty values.
- disallow_file_uploads: Disallow multipart file uploads.
- drop_body: Automatically drops response body and Content-Type/Content-Length headers for response statuses indicating no body.
- halt: Augments request halt method for support for setting response status and/or response body.
- module_include: Adds request_module and response_module class methods for adding modules/methods to request/response classes.
- request_aref: Adds configurable handling for  and = request methods.
- request_headers: Adds a headers method to the request object, for easier access to request headers.
- response_request: Gives response object access to request object.
- sinatra_helpers: Port of Sinatra::Helpers methods not covered by other plugins.
- status_303: Uses 303 as the default redirect status for non-GET requests by HTTP 1.1 clients.
- symbol_status: Allows the use of symbols as status codes, converting them to the appropriate integer.
- typecast_params: Allows for easily converting parameter values to explicit types.
- class_matchers: Adds support for handling matchers for arbitrary classes, with support for type conversion.
- empty_root: Makes root matcher match empty string in addition to single slash.
- hash_matcher: Adds hash_matcher class method for easily defining hash matchers.
- header_matchers: Adds matchers using information from the request headers.
- match_affix: Adds support for overriding default prefix/suffix used in match patterns.
- param_matchers: Adds matchers using information from the request params.
- params_capturing: Stores matcher captures in the request params.
- path_matchers: Adds matchers using information from the request path.
- placeholder_string_matchers: Supports placeholders in string for backwards compatibility.
- optimized_string_matchers: Adds performance optimized matchers for single string arguments.
- slash_path_empty: Considers a path of "/" as an empty path when doing a terminal match.
- symbol_matchers: Adds support for symbol-specific matching regexps.
- error_email: Adds ability to easily email a notification when an error is raised by the application, using net/smtp.
- error_mail: Adds ability to easily email a notification when an error is raised by the application, using mail.
- mail_processor: Adds support for processing emails using the routing tree.
- mailer: Adds support for sending emails using the routing tree.
- common_logger: Adds support for logging in common log format.
- csrf: Older CSRF plugin for backwards compatibility using rack_csrf.
- environments: Adds support for handling different execution environments (development/test/production).
- early_hints: Adds support for using 103 Early Hints responses when using a compatible server.
- flash: Adds flash handling.
- heartbeat: Adds support for heartbeats.
- indifferent_params: Adds params method for indifferent parameters.
- json_parser: Parses request bodies in JSON format.
- path: Adds support for named paths.
- route_csrf: Recommended CSRF plugin with request-specific tokens and control over where CSRF tokens are checked during routing.
- sessions: Implements support for encrypted sessions.
- shared_vars: Stores and retrives variables shared between multiple Roda apps.
- strip_path_prefix: Strips prefixes off internal absolute paths, making them relative paths.
- Adding Authentication
- Up and Going in Roda: Static Ruby Websites
- Up and Going in Roda: A Simple Ruby Blog
- Digging ruby from Roda
These projects ship external plugins for Roda:
- autoforme: Adds autoforme method for automatic creation of administrative front-end for Sequel models.
- forme: Adds form method for simple creation of html forms inside erb templates.
- rodauth: Authentication and account management framework.
- roda-action: Resolves actions stored in roda-container.
- roda-auth: Adds authentication support for Roda.
- roda-basic-auth: Adds support for HTTP basic authentication.
- roda-component: Adds realtime components using faye and opal.
- roda-container: Turns application into an inversion of control (IoC) container.
- roda-flow: Changes routing methods to delegate to containers.
- roda-i18n: Adds easy internationalization and localization support.
- roda-mailer_ext: Teach the Roda mailer plugin a few neat tricks.
- roda-mailer_preview: Preview your emails generated by the Roda mailer plugin.
- roda-message_bus: MessageBus Integration for Roda.
- roda-parse-request: Automatically parse JSON and URL-encoded requests.
- roda-rails: Integration for using Roda as Rack middleware in a Rails app.
- roda-route_list: Parses route metadata from comments in an app file, allowing introspection of routes.
- roda-rest_api: Adds support for easily creating RESTful APIs.
- roda-symbolized_params: Adds params method for symbolized params.
- roda-unpoly: Easily integrate Unpoly into your Roda application.
- roda-will_paginate: will_paginate integration for Roda.
- rom-roda: Adds integration with Ruby Object Mapper.
These external projects are related to Roda:
- newrelic-roda: Adds newrelic instrument for Roda.
- roda-bin: Add bin/roda binary for a simple development server that reloads on changes.
- roda-sequel-stack: Application Skeleton For Roda/Sequel stack.
- roda_app: Generator for Roda apps.
- 3.25 | 3.24 | 3.23 | 3.22 | 3.21 | 3.20
- 3.19 | 3.18 | 3.17 | 3.16 | 3.15 | 3.14.1 | 3.14 | 3.13 | 3.12 | 3.11 | 3.10
- 3.9 | 3.8 | 3.7 | 3.6 | 3.5 | 3.4 | 3.3 | 3.2 | 3.1 | 3.0
- 2.29 | 2.28 | 2.27 | 2.26 | 2.25 | 2.24 | 2.23 | 2.22 | 2.21 | 2.20
- 2.19 | 2.18 | 2.17 | 2.16 | 2.15 | 2.14 | 2.13 | 2.12 | 2.11 | 2.10
- 2.9 | 2.8 | 2.7 | 2.6 | 2.5.1 | 2.5 | 2.4 | 2.3 | 2.2 | 2.1 | 2.0
- 1.3 | 1.2 | 1.1 | 1.0
- "Dynamic routing in Ruby"
- "Roda" Lightning Talk at RailsConf 2015 (4x3 version) (Video, starts about 33:16)
- "Better Routing Through Trees" Presentation at MountainWest RubyConf 2015 (4x3 version (Video)
- "Roda: The Routing Tree Web Framework" Presentation at RubyConf 2014 (4x3 Version) (Video)
Applications Using Roda
Here are some open source applications that use Roda:
- Kontena (Docker Container Management)
- Alienist Viewer (JRuby Memory Dump Viewer)
- golf-score-roda (Backend for golf-score-frontend)
- tus-ruby-server (Backend for Resumable Uploads)
- SPAM (Simple Personal Accounting Manager)
- Giftsmas (Gift Tracking)
- KaeruEra (Exception Tracking)
- Quinto (Version of 1960s 3M Board Game)
- CSPVR (Content-Security-Policy Violation Recorder and Viewer)
- Lila Shell (Basic Chat Application)
- Falcom CD Catalog (Database of Nihon Falcom Albums)
- Forme Demo (Demo Site for Forme)
- AutoForme Demo (Demo Site for AutoForme)
- Rodauth Demo (Demo Site for Rodauth)